Whatever happened to our neologizers-in-chief? - column in Boston Globe (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jan 23 20:35:04 UTC 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

In the article, Ben says: "Since 18th-century New Englanders were
already dropping their r's, "corcas" would have been pronounced the same
as "caucus." "

Is this (spelling evolution corcas => caucus) the evidence for how NE
pronounced things?  Or did people describe accents in print? (I've never
seen such, but that is more a sign of my limits than anything else).