like = 'It goes without saying that...not'

Tyler Schnoebelen tylers at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jan 24 17:07:31 UTC 2013

This reminded me of Chaucer being playful in the Canterbury Tales (eg, the Knight's Tale), I think I learned the rhetorical device as 'paralepsis' but there are some other related terms: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophasis

So the idea's been in English for a while, though "It goes without saying" may be early 20th century (but earlier than the 70s):

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=It+goes+without+saying&year_start=1600&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=

http://corpus.byu.edu/coha/x.asp?w=320&h=480

Tyler

Tyler Schnoebelen