like = 'It goes without saying that...not'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 25 05:00:27 UTC 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 11:00 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> Slightly earlier than "Wayne's World":
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=cyCZS6zwFuMC&q=%22yeah+as+if%22
> Rick Hautala, _Cold Whisper_ (1991), p. 212
> Shaking his head, he turned back to his own work and whispered, "Well, it may be
> true, but I didn't write it."
> "Yeah, as if," Sarah said.

Or even earlier, in the ending of _The Sun Also Rises_ (1926):

“Oh, Jake,” Brett said, “we could have had such a damned good time together.”
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
“Yeah, right” I said. “As if.”

OK, I admit, that's a new translation…

LH