Another early QOTY? "recalibrate the compass of

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 25 16:27:38 UTC 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 1/25/2013 10:20 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> He also said it was time for the GOP to "stop being the stupid party."
>>
>> ("The party of stupid" would have been catchier, but it might have
>> backfired in certain academic circles.)
>
> I'm waiting for the tee-shirt -- "I'm with the party of stupid."
>
> Joel

Of course "stupid" can also be a highly complimentary adjective or adverb, along the lines of "sick", "bad", and so on.  I checked this on urbandictionary, and despite the first definition of "stupid"--"someone who has to look up 'stupid' in a dictionary"--there are the positive lemmas to be found as well ('excellent', 'terrific').  As on other occasions, my vector on this is Stuart Scott, an anchor on ESPN SportsCenter.  Probably not the way it would be interpreted on T-shirts, though.

LH