big antedating of "Hun" = 'German.'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 26 01:25:39 UTC 2013

You're right about the 1802 date, Dave. The anthology I was looking at gave
it wrongly, possibly because Campbell had been in Bavaria in 1800. Several
months before Hohenlinden, he'd witnessed an extended skirmish at
Regensburg from the roof of the monastery.

The scenes were "so horrible to my memory that I study to banish them."

By the time Hohenlinden was fought, Campbell was in Altona.

Note for pedants: Campbell's letters refer to "Hungarians" among the
Habsburg troops, so one might argue that his "Huns" actually "refers to"
Hungarians. Possibly "Hungarian" helped prompt the association, but the
Habsburg army was overwhelmingly Bavarian and Austrian, and it's the entire
army he's talking about in the poem.

And no, there's little doubt that the 20th C. application of "Huns" owes
almost everything to the Kaiser's pep talk.

JL