Non-uncountability of caff=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E9_?=latte

Mon Jul 1 08:59:46 UTC 2013

I just discovered I don't have a non-count form for "caffé latte" even though I drink about one a day. I have it only in countable form.

"I'm drinking a caffé latte" is fine, but if I want to talk about just part of it, I use "my caffé latte" or just "coffee."

A lot of the applicable hits on Google for "drink caffé latte" seem to be written by non-natives, but there are some clear cites for the non-count form:

-----
http://www.datehookup.com/Thread-755083.htm
Civilized! Cause you drink caffe latte from a dioxin tainted paper cup?
-----
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,326502,00.html
They drink caffe latte in their Tuscan-tiled kitchens
-----
http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2009/05/can-a-hipster-still-be-a-hipster-if-he-takes-him-or-herself-seriously/
Sure, one can look like a hipster, wear trucker hats (they still don’t wear them anymore, do they, but last time we checked they were still into skinny jeans), drink caffe latte all day long and quote some obscure writer
-----

I have this problem with other drinks like cappuccino and mocha. I'll try to observe others.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA