paranoid (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Jul 5 19:47:52 UTC 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It might be worth writing to Buck Henry (adapted Heller's novel for the
movie) care of the Writer's Guild of America, West, to pin this down
with finality.

---------------

-------------
> ----------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Hugo <hugovk at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: paranoid

> -
> > ---------
> >
> > I didn't find it in this 1961 version of the Catch-22 book (for some
> =
> > copyright reason the print-disabled text shows on my phone but not =
> > computer):
> > =
> >
> http://archive.org/stream/catch22anovel027516mbp/catch22anovel027516mb
> > p_dj=
> > vu.txt
> > http://archive.org/details/catch22anovel027516mbp
> >
> > Nor in the subzin.com database of subtitles or this transcript of
the
> > =
> > 1970 film.
> > =
> > http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/c/catch-22-script-
> transcrip
> > t-he=
> > ller.html
> >
> > But there is this in the book:
> >
> > [Begin extract]
> > =93They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
> > No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
> > Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
> > They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying
> > = kill everyone."
> > And what difference does that make?=94 [End extract]
> >
> > ---
> >
> > The earliest, easily verifiable version I found in Google Books was
> > =
> > 1974 New Scientist magazine, with a number of likely-looking early
> > 1970s = snippets in magazines attributing it to "they say", "a
> > poster", "a = popular bumper sticker", "others have said" or "the
> > warning" (and one to = Thomas Pynchon), so it was well-known by
then.

> > New Scientist, 7 Mar 1974, Vol 61 No 888 Page 627 [Begin extract]
> > There is a poster for sale in the Harvard Co-op, and no doubt many
> > other = places in the US, which says: "Just because you're paranoid
> > doesn't mean = they're not out to get you".
> > [End extract]
> >
> > =
> >
> http://books.google.com/books?id=3DDA7kWFGxzigC&pg=3DPA627&dq=3D%22jus
> > t+be=
> > cause+you're+paranoid%22&hl=3Den&sa=3DX&ei=3DICLVUZ-
> qIaLf4QSDsIDwBw&ve
> > cause+d=3D=
> > 0CC8Q6AEwAA
> >
> > ---
> >
> > The Wikipedia discussion page for paranoia includes this:
> >
> > [Begin extract]
> > Regarding the quote "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they
=
> > aren't after you," being from the 1961 book Catch-22 by author
Joseph