Hyphenating "urinary bladder stones"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 15 01:12:13 UTC 2013

On Jul 14, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't have hyphenated "you-all"
>

> Why not? I would have. What other way is there to spell it to get the
> required meaning?

Well, y'all, sort of, but I agree with your implicit point--that's not a different way to spell *it*, given the (sometimes subtle but real) differences between "you-all" and "y'all".  The latter sometimes represented as "ya'll", but that just seems weird. And "you all" sans hyphen doesn't really pick out the second personal plural.

LH