Antedating of "First Lady"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 19 19:06:26 UTC 2013

On Jul 19, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> The "first," i.e., pre-eminent, lady of the nation.
>
> Not "the first lady" as a lexicalized title.

True enough.  I remember learning from Bertrand Russell's "On Descriptions" (Mind, 1905) that George IV was known as "the first gentleman of Europe":

If a is identical with b, whatever is true of the one is true of the other, and either may be substituted for the other in any proposition without altering the truth or falsehood of that proposition. Now George IV wished to know whether Scott was the author of Waverley; and in fact Scott was the author of Waverley. Hence we may substitute Scott for the author of `Waverley', and thereby prove that George IV wished to know whether Scott was Scott. Yet an interest in the law of identity can hardly be attributed to the first gentleman of Europe.

And he was not so called because he was married to the President of Europe.

LH