Quote: never before heard of a man's signing his name and forgetting to write the letter

Sun Jul 21 18:19:19 UTC 2013

Fred and list members: Here is a match from a preliminary search for
the entertaining anecdote about Henry Ward Beecher. Earlier instances
probably exist. I am sharing this because the use of "April Fool" in
the signature changes the coloration of the anecdote I think.

Title: A Manual of Composition and Rhetoric
Author: John Seely Hart
Year: 1871
Publisher: J. L. Hammett
Quote Page: 204

http://books.google.com/books?id=b3BXAAAAYAAJ&q=%22April+Fool%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Henry Ward Beecher once, on the 1st of April, received a letter
containing simply the words "April Fool." He enclosed it to Bonner,
with a note, saying, "I have often heard of people's writing letters
and forgetting to sign their name, but I never before heard of a man's
signing his name and forgetting to write the letter."
[End excerpt]

Garson