Repartee: "I'm writing a book." "Neither am I." (attrib Peter Cook 1984)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 24 16:36:48 UTC 2013

Recalling Serge Gainsbourg's top o' the charts song from the late 1960s in France, "Je t'aime…moi non plus". See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_t%27aime..._moi_non_plus

for more than you want to know about the history of the song, if you're not of a certain age. I hadn't known about the Picasso-Dali "me neither" exchange (real or apocryphal as the case may be) before reading this wiki write-up.  Here's a video of the song--there are others, but this one seems particularly French (and hence NSFW, depending on the W):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpDf6XX_j0

LH