"off of" = "on"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 26 16:02:12 UTC 2013

Thanks, Ben.  I did search the archives for String = "off of", and
found 205 matches.  As you might imagine, I didn't look further down
that road.

When I then searched for "off of" in "Subject contains", I found
*zero* matches, so I gave up.  I have no idea why I got zero then;
when I tried again just now, I got 15 matches, a reasonable number to
be expected to research.  Although most seem to be about Arnold's
second issue, plain "off" in alternation with "off of".  Arnold has
only one short paragraph on the "based off [of]/on" alternation; is
it worth more discussion 7 years later?

I didn't try adding "based", because I supposed that "off of" (=
"on") could occur in conjunction with other, similar verbs.  Does it?

Joel