our Steve Kleinedler on the lexicographer's waiting game

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 3 13:50:48 UTC 2013

The very definition of marriage
A lexicographer awaits the court’s decision.

IN THE RUN-UP to the momentous Supreme Court decision about marriage equality, one often hears the phrase “redefining marriage.” But who writes the definitions that appear in dictionaries? Even in this age of crowd sourcing and automation, the answer is a traditional one: a small number of lexicographers like me. As a member of the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language editorial staff, I am interested in the court’s decision because it could affect our current definition of marriage.  […]

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2013/06/01/dictionary-editor-awaits-court-decision-gay-marriage/SrjR30muFvdfy0eYqFN9WK/story.html

LH