between inclusive

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 4 17:37:55 UTC 2013

At 6/4/2013 01:04 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>Yes, although we might not agree on the judgments, I think it's
>clear that the definition of "between" needs to be rewritten to
>allow the possibility of including the endpoints. I would say that
>the dollars and patients examples are both inclusive.

I would say the  "patients between the age of 40 and 50" example
excludes those of age 50; that is, it is intended to be a 10-year,
not 11- or 9-year range.  Others may disagree with my interpretation,
which is perhaps why so many patients die.  In any case, my "between"
for this example is different from the previous definitions -- it
includes one endpoint but not the other.

Joel