Word: midcore - midcore game, midcore gamer (contrast with: hardcore gamer, casual gamer)

Wed Jun 5 18:45:59 UTC 2013

Great! Thanks for sharing these intriguing cites from the flight
simulator domain, Hugo.

Urban dictionary has an entry for midcore dated June 18, 2010, but it
is in different domain. The illustrative term is "midcore porn":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=midcore

The use of the word hardcore in a domain apparently facilitates the
coinage of midcore. Now that midcore has achieved a wider-distribution
it may persist.

Here is an article at a computer gaming website that represents a
backlash against the term "mid-core" (or midcore). The critique claims
that the categories [casual, midcore, hardcore] overlap and
interpenetrate.

Mid-Core Is Bullshit
by Kevin Gliner on 03/07/13
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KevinGliner/20130306/187983/MidCore_Is_Bullshit.php

[Begin excerpt]
The game industry continues to believe that casual and hardcore
players are separate monolithic audiences interested solely in games
reflecting their respective play styles.  The latest entry along these
lines is the mid-core game, which seeks to claim a middle ground
between the two.
{End excerpt]

Garson