The lonely shepherd

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Jun 6 03:47:14 UTC 2013

In this article about ChicagoO'Hare Airport employing goats to graze on
the runways to keep them free of grass and weeds, there's this sentence:

The herd of 25 goats will be transported to O'Hare from the nearby
suburb of Barrington Hills in about a month, along with a shepherd who
will oversee them ....
http://inhabitat.com/chicagos-ohare-airport-hires-goat-herd-to-graze-along-runways/

What, not a goatherd?

Neal

On 6/5/2013 3:44 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Pronunciation of "malware"
>
> At 6/4/2013 08:40 PM, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>> This afternoon a local TV newscaster (Atlanta) pronounced "malware"
>> with the first syllable like "mall."  I would pronounce the first
>> syllable to rhyme with "pal"--though I don't believe I have ever
>> actually spoken the word; perhaps I hadn't even heard it spoken.  I
>> there a "standard" pronunciation?
> What about "Male Contents"?  is it mail, mal (as in pal), moll, or
> mall?  is it CON-tents, or con-TENTS?
>
> Joel

The Ohio State University Neal Whitman, PhD Lecturer College of
Education and Human Ecology Department of Education, Teaching and
Learning 60F Arps Hall 1945 N. High St Columbus, OH 43210 614 260-1622
Mobile whitman.11 at osu.edu www.osu.edu