Query on Most Famous ESPN Catchphrases

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 7 03:54:54 UTC 2013

>From Stuart Scott alone, there's "Booyah!", "He must be butter 'cause he's on a roll", and "I ain't saying nuthin but that ain't right".  Lots of others, most of which I try to suppress.

"You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here"--forget who uses that one, and I'm sure it didn't start with SportsCenter, but it gets said a lot there.

I learned "My bad" from SportsCenter a while ago, possibly also from S.S.

One classic from ages ago--so long ago it was popularized and maybe created by Keith Olbermann, in his prior existence:

"That's a 6-4-3 double play if you're scoring at home, or even if you're by yourself."

Actually, there's a web site that will help with this exercise:

http://www.sportscenteraltar.com/phrases/

(You can search by anchors.)

LH