Query on Most Famous ESPN Catchphrases (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jun 7 19:24:09 UTC 2013

Ben Zimmer wrote:

> We discussed this one back in '05 (Larry noted its ESPN usage). As early as
> 1964, Dean Martin was saying of Frank Sinatra, "It's your world, Frank, I just
> live in it," and Wilson recalled similar phrases from the '50s...
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0507B&L=ADS-L&P=R12697&I=-3
>
> And see:
>
> http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002947.html

Here is a generalized statement in 1960 of the idea behind the
template that is now employed as a snowclone.

[ref] 1960 September 28, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Section: Readers'
Opinions: Cause is Pure, (Letter to the editor from Mrs. Pauline Paul,
Canton, Ohio), Quote Page 14, Column 6, Cleveland, Ohio.
(GenealogyBank) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Editor Plain Dealer - Sir: It has been said that a few people make the
world, the rest just live in it. All Americans dream of a world at
peace but few do anything about it.
[End excerpt]

Garson