From Barry Popil's website: Famous Babe Ruth quote on salary

Sun Jun 9 19:19:54 UTC 2013

The same NYT sportswriter, Arthur Daley, retold the anecdote in 1948,
but this time he switched the year of the supra-Presidential salary
demand to 1930.

[ref] 1948 August 19, New York Times, Sports of the Times: Still More
on the Babe by Arthur Daley, Quote Page 29, Column 3, New York.
(ProQuest)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
When he held out for the $80,000 in the depression year of 1930, his
sports-writing friends advised him to take it easy because, after all,
he'd be making more money than the President of the United States,
Herbert Hoover.

"What's Hoover got to do with it?" he growled and then thoughtfully
added, "Besides, I had a better year than he did anyway." He was right
as rain on that one.
[End excerpt]

Garson