Yinglish in New York City, 100 years ago

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Jun 10 15:44:04 UTC 2013

The use of left-to-right ordering for numbers is normal both in Modern Hebrew and in Yiddish orthography. Here's a line I just copied from a Haaretz article (I think this should come through...)

כתבתי על שתיהן סיפורים לבלוג מאויר שכתבתי ב2008 באתר של ×”× ×™×• יורק טיימס

The relevant digits are, as you might guess, a date, and the letter preceding (on the right, of course) is the preposition 'be', meaning 'in'.

On the other hand, the sign is primarily not in Yiddish at all, but rather English. There are only a few Yiddish words. Chris's transcription is pretty accurate--there's only a couple of places where I would quibble.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.