Yinglish in New York City, 100 years ago

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Jun 11 12:37:25 UTC 2013

That's really interesting.

Just so I'm clear on it, it's standard in right-to-left text traditions
for numbers to be read opposite the text direction, that is
left-to-right, yes?  I guess with the Arabic numeral system, it could be
thought of as still being read right-to-left in terms of going from
smaller to larger place markers. But the Roman system does that as well,
doesn't it?

Huh.

Really, really interesting. (Sorry for thinking out loud and basically
being an infant rediscovering gravity by dropping my food from my high
chair.)

---Amy West