Yinglish in New York City, 100 years ago

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jun 11 13:05:06 UTC 2013

Yes, you've got it right. Rather than trying to send Hebrew and Arabic text with this primitive email system, I'll just link to a couple of contemporary newspapers home pages, and, even if you don't know the first thing about how to read them you can see that the numbers are left to right and, of course, both writing systems are right to left:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/

http://aljazeera.net/news/pages/1d05f0ce-f9b9-486d-89b7-98ea1e59b019

I have no idea what the latter article is about, but you can see that numerals are in 'Roman' order, but the percent sign is on the left. In Hebrew it's on the right, as you can see in this page:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/misc/tags/1.3848

(see lower left where there's a link to 'Related Tags' about Bashar al-Assad, with 26%).

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.