Did General George S. Patton describe himself as "an utter, craven coward"?

Thu Jun 13 20:10:19 UTC 2013

Stephen Goranson wrote:
> Maybe Thomas Vernor Smith 1890-1964?

Thanks for your response, Stephen. I think that you are right that "T.
V. Smith" probably refers to Thomas Vernor Smith. Amazon has a listing
for the following autobiography:

A non-existent man, an autobiography by Thomas Vernor Smith.

The description mentions service in Sicily:
[Begin excerpt]
He served as private ("no class") in World War I; he held the rank of
colonel in World War II and was a military governor with the Allied
Control Commission in Sicily and Italy, …
[End excerpt]

The book was published with editions in 1961 and 1962 apparently.
Based on the timing perhaps this book contains the quotation. The
Google Books database includes some instances of the book but they
seem to be in "No Preview" mode.

Garson