"upstate Manhattan"

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Tue Jun 18 02:25:10 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 07:39 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "upstate Manhattan"
>
> On Jun 12, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Dan Goodman wrote:
>
>>  From Publishers Lunch newsletter:
>>
>> Word Up Community Bookshop, the "completely implausible store" in
>> Washington Heights, aka "upstate Manhattan," has successfully raised
>> $60,000 on IndieGoGo from over 800 supporters. The store has signed a
>> lease for a new storefront location at 2113 Amsterdam Avenue, by 165
>> Street. The reopening has not been scheduled yet.
>>
> Hey, my old neighborhood.  Well, my subway station was at 163rd and
> Amsterdam and my junior high was at 165th and Edgecombe (a block from
> Amsterdam).  Not only did I never realize I was upstate, I would have
> considered the proposition "completely implausible".

I grew up in Ulster County.  When I participated in a newsgroup devoted
to Upstate New York, I was told I wasn't really from upstate.  Just how
far north upstate began varied; the extreme was, if you couldn't see
Canada from your house you weren't upstate.

--
Dan Goodman
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.