gist/just eggcorn?

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jun 21 19:04:55 UTC 2013

Dialect writers are fond of representing "just" pronounced with a barred-i as "jist.  However, speaking as a barred-i pronouncer, I can't imagine anyone (on the basis of that pronunciation) actually misspelling "just" as "jist"!  I believe the word "gist" is just unfamiliar to many speakers, who eggcornishly, then, could rationalize (?) it as "just."

The case is different with, say, with the homophonous "immigrant" and "emigrant."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 2:19 PM

Urban dictionary has an entry for: "just of it"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just%20of%20it

[Begin excerpt]
just of it

to gain suffient knowledge on a certain subject
"i believe paige has got the just of it." says sakku kakku.
"yes, she knows whats up!" exclaimed britney.

by awtistic boy18 Apr 12, 2008
[End excerpt]

Maybe the rationale for using the word "just" involves obtaining or
imparting "just enough knowledge"?

Here is a question and two answers on Yahoo! Answers:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521083138AAbBXpm

[Begin excerpt]
Which phrase is correct, "I get the just of it," or "I get the jist of it"?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
It's GIST
   40% 2 Votes
    5 years ago

Jist!
    5 years ago
0% 0 Votes

[End excerpt]

Here is a comment added to the word "gist" at the Merriam-Webster.
This comment, in my opinion, provides evidence that "just" may only be
a spelling error for some people.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gist

[Begin excerpt]
Lyndel Littleton · Worship Pastor at Hilldale Baptist Church
I was using it in an e-mail and it showed "jist" as an incorrectly
spelled word, so I was looking for the proper spelling. Ha! Never
thought of it starting with a "g." Perhaps because here in the South
people say "jist" for "just" all the time.
· October 29, 2012 at 7:25am
[End excerpt]

Eggcorn Forum
'just' for 'gist'