Early use of "O.K.=all correct" --not an antedating

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 23 17:56:49 UTC 2013

Ever since searchable online historical newspaper collections became available, I have been searching for an antedating of "o.k."  I found this same early Baltimore usage in America's Historical Newspapers some years ago, and probably others have as well.

Note that the OED has an April 12, 1839 citation for "O.K." from the Salem Gazette.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of sclements at NEO.RR.COM [sclements at NEO.RR.COM]
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:25 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Early use of "O.K.=all correct"  --not an antedating

If correct, then this would be the first use after the _Boston Post_

Using my NEW Genealogy Bank by subscription--

_Sun_ (Baltimore MD) 15 April 1839 p.2 col. 2

"The gentleman who sent us a couple of "long necked Frenchman" will be proud to know that we thought of their delicate health in a bumper and pronounced the "grape brand" to be O.K.--all correct."

Sam Clements