FW: Re: "Hot Dog" in 1884 -- message from Barry Popik

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 24 15:02:17 UTC 2013

Barry commented:
>"the joke is that it contains dog. It does not appear to have been
>called a "hot dog" at this time, but it's this close to that."
and that "hot dog" is not in quotes.

I wonder whether, then, one should read "dispensing hot dog on the
street corner" as "dispensing hot [pause] dog" rather than
"dispensing hot-dog[s]".  In which case, referring to Ben's comment,
it's the "dog" that's uncountable, not the "hot-dog"?

Joel