[PW] Jabip or Jabib

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 28 08:41:02 UTC 2013

I found a 1973 quotation in where else but the Newsletter of the American Dialect Society. First some more recent quotations.

---

USENET

1993 - rec.models.rockets

[Begin extract]
Here's what happens: Rocket takes off. Initial thrust spike is over. Rocket
flops on its side (while still in the air) and turns into a cruise missile.
Rocket flies towards East Jabib, Timbucktu, where ever. Get the picture?
[End extract]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.models.rockets/0XI6gO7liDM

---

GOOGLE NEWS

1990, Jun 18 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette : BILLY STARTS THE FIRE AT STAR...‎
$2.95

[Begin extract]
"I paid $28 to get my ticket," he complained, "and then another five bucks to park way on the other side of the lot, out in East Jabib. ...
[End extract]

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PG&p_theme=pg&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EADE6A604096B4F&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

---

GOOGLE NEWS

1989, Oct 16 - Chicago Sun-Times : `Pulitzer' earns booby prize as sleazy...‎
$2.95 -

[Begin extract]
Unless you were living in East Jabip back in the early 1980s, it was impossible not to be innundated with the press coverage of the scandalous Palm Beach, ...
[End extract]

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=CSTB&p_theme=cstb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB36E8067064DFC&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM
---

GOOGLE BOOKS

Possible 1987 - Yuppies invade my house at dinnertime: a tale of brunch, bombs, and gentrification in an American city - Page 18 - Joseph Barry, John Derevlany - Snippet view

[Begin extract]
Many insufferable New Yorkers come from places like Delaware, California, Minnesota, Hawaii, (especially) Massachusetts, and East Jabib for that matter. Even "natives" grasp such obvious truths. Being a New Yorker is, after all, a state of ...
[End extract]

http://books.google.com/books?id=TSa7AAAAIAAJ

---

GOOGLE BOOKS

I expect another list member can confirm this next snippet, but in any case it says it's from the fifties and contains a 1973 quotation.

Possible 1983 - Newsletter of the American Dialect Society, Volumes 15-19
American Dialect Society - Page 44

[Begin extract]
jabib — or perhaps this should be Jabib, a place name? It suggests remoteness: back- o'-beyond or the boondocks, and was heard among high school students in the fifties and from a teacher in 1973: 'Way out to Jabib." What does it mean, and how is it pronounced?
[End extract]

http://books.google.com/books?id=xXhBAQAAIAAJ

Perhaps there's more in the NADS archives. (I found a recent archive online: http://www.americandialect.org/category/nads -- it only goes back to 1998/volume 30 and it's not mentioned in those (actually, the PDFs for 1998 issues 30.2 and 30.3 are broken).)

---

Hugo