Fwd: "derailleur, n." - Word of the Day from the OED

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 29 01:37:01 UTC 2013

Today's OED WOTD is derailleur, n. I don't have an issue with the
definition as such, but it's a few decades out of date. Even in the
1980s we regularly referred to the front switching gear as
"derailleur"--I've replaced and adjusted quite a few of them in college.
Bicycle maintenance books take this reference at least into the 1970s.
Basically, a derailleur is /any/ switching gear, front or rear, that
makes the chain jump from one sprocket to another. Most are attached by
cable to shifting levers or rings. Chances are the earlier definition
only mentioned the rear because there was only one front sprocket.
Modern bikes have as many as 4 in front and as many as 9 in the back
(not both at the same time though--normal gear is 3x6 or 2x8 with 2x9 on
some pro models, with other options available; the 80s bikes had 2x5 or
2x6 on 120 and 126 mm rear axles, respectively).

Here's an obvious example from today: http://goo.gl/YRDTr

Here's a blog post from a bike tool company from 2006: http://goo.gl/MA9NL

It should not be too difficult to find examples from bike magazines
manuals going back into the 1970s. I'd offer some, but mine are all in
storage.

     VS-)