inscribe = 'to suggest to the imagination'?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 2 16:47:33 UTC 2013

"Inscribe" is frequently encountered post-structuralist crityak, but this
ex. seems even more metaphorical than usual:

1999 Philip Gould in _American Quarterly_  (June) 457: Similarly, Lepore
makes visible the invisible history of James Printer, whose surname, after
all, inscribes the power of print to shape Native American identity, since
he worked locally at the Cambridge Press.

Printer was white, but he'd been held captive by Indians, so, like, you
know, his name and stuff kind of does that, right? I mean "after all."

JL