on reversed "substitute" (intransitive version)

Mon Mar 4 12:53:30 UTC 2013

I don't understand the objection, but FWIW, that use seems to match my Mac dictionary:

[ with obj. ]
use or add in place of: dried rosemary can be substituted for the fresh herb.
[ no obj. ] act or serve as a substitute: I found someone to substitute for me.
• replace (someone or something) with another: customs officers substituted the drugs with another substance / this was substituted by a new clause.
• replace (a sports player) with a substitute during a contest: he was substituted for Nichols in the fifth inning.

Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/substitute) also seems to accept this use.

Of "substitute, the OED says:  To fill the place of (a person or thing) with a replacement; = replace v. 2b. Use in this sense has been sometimes criticized (as with sense 3a), but is now generally regarded as part of normal standard English.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA