"ground zero" = ?

Wed Mar 6 01:51:15 UTC 2013

The metamorphosis of the underlying semantics of the term "ground
zero" was triggered by the enormously influential movie critics of the
SCTV Farm Film Report, John Candy and Joe Flaherty. The reviewers
became ecstatic when discussing films which depicted things which
"blowed up real good".  Zabriskie Point by the auteur Michelangelo
Antonioni was a seminal work that was embraced by Candy and Flaherty
and dictated a transformational understanding of the phrase "ground
zero". Here is the primal clip available on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkvD7-u7y8

The relationship between intact objects and detonation was creatively
re-imagined, and a new positive sense for "ground zero" emerged. A
Google search reveals examples of the new semantics:

1) Downtown is ground zero for fun this Saturday & Sunday
2) We consider home the base, ground zero for happiness and success in life.
3) Let's start with ground zero for love, shall we?