repost with short URLs: "wake goose"--(a) as the source or "waygoose" (b) apparent antedating

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Mar 8 12:02:06 UTC 2013

I changed the links to tinyURLs.
Stephen
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Douglas G. Wilson [douglas at NB.NET]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:20 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "wake goose"--(a) as the source or "waygoose" (b)              apparent              antedating

On 3/5/2013 11:33 AM, Stephen Goranson wrote:
> Previously, in two posts, I suggested that waygoose came from wake goose. F=
> or the argument and examples see [1], both posts combined.
>
> Here's a case of an 1801 document with wake goose that an editor "corrected=
> ." [2]
>
> Anatoly Liberman discussed waygoose twice, before my suggestion. [3, 4]
>
> Here are several uses of wake goose from documents going back to the 1550s.=
>   [5]
>
> Stephen Goranson
> www.duke.edu/~goranson

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ckot2np

[2] http://tinyurl.com/d9rprmc

[3] http://tinyurl.com/bfxtmfb

[4] http://tinyurl.com/cc4tdq7

[5] http://tinyurl.com/croun7c

***

I am interested, but links (2) and (5) above fail for me, probably
because the long URL's get damaged somehow in e-mailing. Maybe I'm not
the only one. Perhaps some TinyURL's or some such can be provided?

-- Doug Wilson