Q: Latin or pseudo-Latin "ulcocalculus"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 8 15:53:42 UTC 2013

The solution has been provided by several Sherlocks on an email list
dedicated to the 18th century.  I can only say, as Dr. Watson, "How
absurdly simple", and be put down by "Quite so. Every problem is
absurdly simple when it is explained to you."

Boylston >> Boil Stone >> Ulcocalculus.

I am extremely embarrassed to have gone through Roget's for synonyms
for "ulcer" as "sore" and passed by "boil" without a second thought.

I should have given more context.  It's in a "quack's harangue"
adapted by William Douglass, from an English one of his time, to mock
Boylston, and surely Douglass's method of identifying his target
without explicitly naming him.

(Actually, moderately clever -- it alludes at the same time to
Boylston's gallstone surgeries.)

Joel