singlism

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 9 01:22:17 UTC 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 8:01 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> http://goo.gl/jKS1Q
>> "It's the bane of the single person's travel existence," said Bella
>> DePaulo, a visiting professor of psychology at the University of
>> California, Santa Barbara, who studies what she calls "singlism," or
>> the ways in which single people are stereotyped and discriminated
>> against (it's also the name of her most recent book).

I wonder if she pronounces it as three syllables or four.  If the latter, which I suspect, shouldn't it be singleism?

It's also a sort of odd word, as if it were based on "blackism", "poorism", "womanism", and "oldism" instead of "racism, "classism", "sexism", and "ageism".  Maybe she wants something like…well, "marital statusism"?  I see the problem.

LH