"Intersectionality" Not in OED

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 9 02:35:48 UTC 2013

I'm not a big fan of academic jargon, but the word "intersectionality," with over 500,000 Google hits, should be in OED.  It refers, according to Wikipedia, to the interaction of multiple systems of oppression or discrimination.  I believe it was coined by Kimberle Crenshaw in the following article:

Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics, 1989 University of Chicago Legal Forum 139-67 (1989)

Fred Shapiro