Antedating of "Flack"

Sat Mar 9 09:16:19 UTC 2013

Walter Winchell wrote about Variety and "flack" in a syndicated column
that appeared in multiple newspapers on January 23, 1939:

[Begin excerpt]
Variety, which is trying to coin "flack" as a synonym for press agent
(without much luck), might like to know it was born in the Chicago
offices of Gene Flack, a film publicist.
[End excerpt]

If Variety was using flack for press agent in 1933 than Winchell was
late in spotting the appearance in the magazine. Did Gene Flack (or
someone in his office) try to establish a generalized meaning for
"flack"?

Garson