Suspect Tecumseh quote

Thu Mar 14 00:24:14 UTC 2013

Jon and list members: The same author, Ernest Thompson Seton,
published a book with a section presenting "THE TEACHINGS OF WABASHA
I" in 1912. The teachings in 1912 overlap the later longer version
that you referenced, but I have not performed a detailed comparison.

Title: The Book of Woodcraft and Indian Lore
Author: Ernest Thompson Seton
Publisher: Doubleday Page and Company
Year: 1912

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y_g1AAAAMAAJ&q=%22of+Wabasha%22#v=snippet&

[Here are some examples of overlaps:]

(Begin excerpt)
In the day of his strength no man is fat. Fat is good in a beast, but
in a man it is disease and comes only of an evil life.
(End excerpt)

(Begin excerpt)
Touch not the poisonous firewater that makes wise men turn fools.
Neither touch food nor taste drink that robs the body of its power or
the spirit {of its vision}.
(End excerpt)

[The text in braces has been added to the later version].

I am using the version of "The Gospel of Red Man" given at the
following link in the comparison. This text is in Google Books preview
mode:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aABmgeR4C1cC&

Garson