given

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 14 22:10:09 UTC 2013

Isn't this a weird (or at least very recent) use of "given"?
 http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/case-def.html<http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/case-def.html>

"The efficiency of person-to-person transmission of novel coronavirus is
not well characterized but appears to be low, given the small number of
confirmed cases since the discovery of the virus."

It seems to mean "if one takes cautiously or skeptically into account" or
something. But to me, "given" means more like "because of." (OED isn't much
help on this.)

JL