given

Thu Mar 14 23:29:10 UTC 2013

JL wrote:
> Isn't this a weird (or at least very recent) use of "given"?
>  http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/case-def.html<http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/case-def.html>
>
> "The efficiency of person-to-person transmission of novel coronavirus is
> not well characterized but appears to be low, given the small number of
> confirmed cases since the discovery of the virus."
>
> It seems to mean "if one takes cautiously or skeptically into account" or
> something. But to me, "given" means more like "because of." (OED isn't much
> help on this.)

In the sentence above I would interpret [given] to mean [when you take
into account]. The author is indicating that "the small number of
confirmed cases since the discovery of the virus" does provide
evidence that "efficiency of person-to-person transmission" is low.

This use of the word "given" is natural within my idiolect (or
whatever the appropriate linguistic term is for my individual use of
language).

Garson