The reliability of dates on websites

Fri Mar 15 15:13:22 UTC 2013

Thanks for your response JL. The date (given on the webpage at
burnpit.us) of the comment from "Michael Shouse" which uses "drone" as
a verb is October 21, 2011 as noted in Ben Zimmer's message. The
webpage has many comments and many dates, e.g., Oct. 5, 2011; Oct. 6,
2011; Oct. 7, 2011; Oct. 8, 2011; Oct. 21, 2011; Nov. 18, 2011; Dec.
2, 2011.

Regarding the December 7, 2011 date: Yes, that is the date that the
webpage was crawled by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. On that
date a "snapshot" of the contents of the webpage at burnpit.us was
archived at web.archive.org.

A high confidence can be placed on that date because the webmaster at
burnpit.us cannot modify the archived data at web.archive.org [1].
Further, the administrators at web.archive.org can be trusted (one
hopes) not to modify the data.

Of course, internal evidence on the webpage itself at burnpit.us
suggests that the October 21, 2011 is plausible. The dates are
internally consistent. Also, why would the webmaster bother to modify
the dates on the page?

Will it be necessary to evaluate every webpage and guess at the
reliability of the dates listed?

Words and phrases can have commercial value. People will be planting
evidence with fake dates.

The central problem concerns the possibility of retroactive
modification of data by webmasters, administrators, or crackers. For
example, the webmaster at burnpit.us has the freedom to modify the
contents of his or her website at any time. The dates and text can be
modified today to provide a date stamp of 1776 for a message stating
that the British were planning to drone George Washington.

Of course, I do not wish to cast aspersions on the webmaster(s) at
burnpit.us. The passage above is simply an example to help illustrate
the problem.

Garson

Footnote [1] I think the administrator of a website can request the
deletion of data from web.archive.org, but I do not think an
administrator can modify the data.