"accuser" = 'victim'

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Mar 17 23:23:16 UTC 2013

Doing a little bit of searching on "survivor accuser victim," I find
that if anything, the use of "accuser" instead of "victim" is not seen
as a goodthing, but rather one more obstacle for rape victims to
overcome. If no one can be called a rape victim until after they have
accused someone, who has subsequently been convicted, what about all the
rapes that go unreported, or which don't result in an arrest? See, for
example, this blog post complaining about a legislator's move to replace
"victim" with" accuser" in a bill:

      http://feministphilosophers.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/no-such-thing-as-a-rape-victim/

Having read the earlier message, I was interested to see that the AP
concluded its story with a similar sentence, which finesses the issue by
putting "victims" inside a presupposition-blocking "say" complement:"The
AP also does not generally identify people who say they were victims of
sex crimes."

Neal