Antedating of "Blue Grass" Music

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 21 03:46:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> It seems odd that such a term would first be  found in connection with a > Boston radio station.  It is also possible that the term here is referring to > some other kind of music emanating from Kentucky.

That could well be, but my memory is that, back in the day, blue grass
was considered to be an important genre of American folk-music, like
Cowboy/Western and Negro spirituals, also broadcast around the country
and featured in the movies.

There used to be a traveling stage-show, called the "American Folk
Festival," that included not only the usual American sounds, but also
even (white) folk-music music from Europe and "the other USA": the
Union of South Africa, such as the stylings of Joseph Marais &
Miranda.

--
-Wilson
-----