Antedating of "Joker" (Cards)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 25 05:51:39 UTC 2013

The OED has "little joker" from 1858:

3.a. Something used in playing a trick.
1858   O. W. Holmes Autocrat of Breakfast-table ii. 39   The
thimble-rigger's 'little joker'.
1895   Rev. of Reviews Jan. 70/2   These little jokers were attached
to the left thumbs of certain judges of election as the ballots were
being counted. These jokers are made of rubber and have a cross on them.

I suspect that Dan's "little joker" from 1880 Perrysburg also is not
what we think of as the customary playing card of today.  "Three card
monte" = "thimble-rig".

The 1880 Interior Journal "joker" does sound like the modern playing
card -- it's combined with "bowers", the two highest cards in
Euchre.  (It's the same year as Fred's.)

Joel