(Reinstated) Earliest Version of "Motherf*cker / Motherf*cking"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 25 15:46:20 UTC 2013

On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Not so curious -- just another long S confusion.  Think "The Vicar of Dibley".
>
> Joel

Right, but consider the possibility that "motherfucker" arose in the first place as a misreading of the mocking but not obscenely offensive "mothersucker" (or "mammysucking" > "mammyfucking"), all because of those d----d long S's.

LH