the early days of "baloney"

Fri May 3 13:37:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> On May 3, 2013, at 8:52 AM, W Brewer wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... Zimmer .... Zimmer.   I seem to recall a Karl Zimmer at Berkeley.
>> Turkish.  Any connection?
>
> And if anyone is wondering, "Turkish" above is elliptical for "An authority on ____"
> or "Works on____" (yes, he's long since emeritus, but still going strong), although
> "Nominal Compounds" would have served as well.  He's not Turkish himself.  And
> no, no connection (I don't believe); there are rooms and rooms full of Zimmers.

Nope, no connection, AFAIK. And no connection to the physicist Karl
Zimmer, or the mathematician and Univ. of Chicago president Robert
Zimmer, or the Indologist Heinrich Zimmer, or the film composer Hans
Zimmer, or baseball's Don Zimmer, or Hoboken mayor Dawn Zimmer.

The science writer Carl (with a C) Zimmer is my brother, however.

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/