"icon"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 5 20:24:18 UTC 2013

In my very humble opinion, I find most of the examples cited meet the
'revered' criterion.

Wearing an editor's hat, I would circle 'institutional icons'.

My prescriptivist nature would argue that the OED is too permissive here,
but I know that is a losing argument in the long run.

DanG

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com