"icon"

Tyler Schnoebelen tylers at STANFORD.EDU
Mon May 6 14:12:20 UTC 2013

At least in COCA, the main kind of icon is indeed a "pop icon"--particularly Paul Simon, Madonna, and Olivia Newton-John, but also "Richard Marx", "Donny and Marie Osmond", and "Michael Jackson". "Rock icon" and "music icon" are also popular.
You do get rather long modifiers like:
"Columbia University Teachers College icon William Heard Kilpatrick", "reluctant generational icon Edie Vedder", "religious conservative icon Pat Robertson", "Liberal establishment icon New York governor nelson Rockefeller" and the possibility that people can have personal icons: "Bradley basketball icon Joe Stowell". You'll find "late environmental icon David Brower", but these more complex noun phrases are fairly rare.
There are also some interesting conjunctions like "49ers coach and icon Bill Walsh", "AOL founder and icon Steve Case".
At any rate, most but not all of the icons mentioned are in music and sports, which go with the whole "pop" idea. But there is a fair thread of politics. Three occurrences of "civil rights icon Martin Luther King, Jr." (that's a lot for COCA), two for "Cuban Revolution/Cuban icon Che Guevara". The line between pop (~fluff) and non-pop (~weighty) requires taking a stance about what matters, which is itself political in nature.