The brainchild behind

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 6 18:36:40 UTC 2013

On May 6, 2013, at 2:27 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

>>> And see the discussion of "brainchild" we had in Jan. '08:
>>>
>>> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0801E&L=ADS-L&P=R10094&I=-3
>>>
>> My only emendation to that discussion is that I'd nominate "brains (behind)"
>> as the causal link rather than "brain" or "mastermind" (even though the
>> semantics would be basically the same).  Of course you can also have
>> "the brains of the operation", but "the brains behind the operation" is
>> not uncommon either.
>
> It appears that the modifier "child" is being ignored. Why?
>
> Hypothesis: "brainchild" is re-interpreted as "brainy child". A
> semantic nexus for "prodigy" already exists for many people. One
> definition for prodigy is: A person, especially. a young one, endowed
> with exceptional abilities. The term "brainy child" intersects with
> this nexus, and so the user of the term "brainchild" decides it can be
> applied to adults and children.

I'm not sure I can get it to work that way.  The "brainchild behind" an operation, a play, etc. doesn't have anything obvious to do with prodigies, child or otherwise.  It seems to me more likely that we have a blend of "X is the (metaphorical) brainchild of Y" and "Y is the brains behind X".  If there's a child around, it's the operation, play, etc., that emerges fully-formed Athena-style from the brains of Y, not Y him/herself.

LH