"jail fever", 1720

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 9 00:56:53 UTC 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 5/8/2013 03:01 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> On May 8, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>> If you read colonial newspapers of the early 18th century, you'll
>> > find "goal" frequently, perhaps more so than "gaol".
>> >
>> > Joel
>>
>> I'm sure you're right.  I've always wondered how "gaol" ended up
>> spelled that way (despite the velar softening), and now I have a
>> second wonder about "goal".  Curious that, as you note below, the
>> OED seems unaware of "goal" as an alternate spellling of "gaol" (as
>> an alternate spelling of "jail").
>
> I apologize if I led to a misunderstanding.  I did not mean to say
> the OED wasn't aware of "goal" -- it has a sufficiency of that
> spelling under "jail, n." for the 16th to 18th centuries.  I was
> being unfairly snarky about the minions (envy, I suppose).  There
> are, however, no quotations of the form "goal*fever*" (asterisks
> indicating wild cards).
>
> Joel

I hadn't checked "jail|gaol" before writing the above, but now that I do I see that "gaol" was indeed earlier pronounced with a "hard" (velar stop) g, and the first spelling listed (from ME) is, wait for it, "gayhole".  But then there are all sorts of variant spellings, including "iaile", "iayll", etc., which suggests not just softening of the velar but its total disappearance (in some areas, at least).  The history is quite complicated, and sure enough the "goal" spelling keeps popping up as Joel (or is that Geol?) notes above.  So when Clarendon's History of Rebellion refers in 1702 to those who are "committed to the Common Goal of Colchester", the sense was less uplifting than it would now seem.

LH